Sheridan’s Educational Support Fast Track Intensive Program prepares you to work in a school setting, where – as a member of the educational team – you will support students with special needs.
The program was designed specifically for those who have completed university or college programs and seek a fast track to a career as an educational assistant. In addition to full-time day studies, the option of part-time evening classes accommodates the needs of adults who work during the day.
The students you will learn to support include those with:
- Intellectual disabilities
- Learning disabilities
- Sensory or physical disabilities
- Behavioural disabilities
Through the program you will:
- Support students with special needs using modified curricula and materials created to accommodate their diverse strengths and developmental needs
- Use assistive technology and other educational resources to implement individualized educational goals
- Respond to and assist with personal care needs of students in educational settings from kindergarten to high school
- Work as a member of the educational team with specialists and family members
- Report information related to the learning environment
- Maintain a safe and professional environment which promotes the well being of the student with special needs
- Support inclusion of the student to aid his or her social development and sense of belonging
Professors with specialized graduate degrees and who are highly experienced in the field of special education teach your courses.
Your Educational Support
classroom activities will include:
- Group seminars and cooperative learning
- Reflective practice linked to field placement experiences
- Lectures combined with activity-based learning that incorporates the laptop
Field Placement Provides On-The-Job Experience
During Semesters 1 and 2, you'll be placed in a school supporting students with special needs in the classroom. Sheridan arranges the field placement experience for you. During your placement experience, you'll encounter students with a range of exceptionalities including physical disabilities, cognitive disabilities, visual impairments, hearing loss, autism and learning disabilities.
The Educational Support Fast Track Intensive Program uses laptop computers for in-class work and home assignments. All course materials are Web-supported, with materials available to you 24/7 through your laptop and the Internet. Your learning opportunities will be greatly enhanced by having increased access to the Internet, learning resources and your classmates.
The Educational Support Fast Track Intensive Program is located at the Trafalgar Road Campus in Oakville, Ontario.